The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is conducting its fifth five-year review of the Warwick Landfill Superfund Site, located in the Town of Warwick, Orange County, New York.
This review seeks to confirm that the remedies selected by EPA in the 1991 and 1995 Records of Decision are protective of human health and the environment. The selected remedy includes the following components:
- Construction of multi-layer cap consistent with New York State landfill closure requirements;
- Construction of a passive gas venting system;
- Installation of groundwater monitoring wells within the landfill;
- Regular groundwater monitoring and cap maintenance; and,
- Establishment of an easement/restrictive covenant on the deed to ensure cap integrity.
A summary of the Five-Year Review activities and an evaluation of the long-term protectiveness of the remedy will be included in the Five-Year Review report. The report is scheduled to be completed by November 2020.
What is an EPA Five-Year Review?
The purpose of a five-year review is to ensure that implemented remedies at Superfund sites function as intended and continue to be protective of human health and the environment. These regular reviews, which are required by federal law when contaminants remain at a site, includes:
- Inspecting the site and cleanup technologies;
- Reviewing monitoring data, operating data and/or maintenance records; and,
- Determining if any new relevant regulatory requirements have been established since EPA’s original cleanup decision was finalized.
For more information:
There are several ways to review information on this site. The Administrative Record, which includes EPA decision documents used for selecting the cleanup remedy, is available for public review at the information repositories listed below. Project information is also available online at the website noted below.
EPA Region 2
Superfund Records Center
290 Broadway, 18th Floor
New York, New York 10007-1866
(212) 637-4308 (call to make an appointment)
Warwick Town Hall
132 Kings Highway
Warwick, New York 10990
You may also contact:
If you have any questions or concerns about the site, please contact:
Phone: (212) 637-4269
Community Involvement Coordinator
Phone: (212) 637-3570