Town Clerk FAQs



Q. May I use a credit/debit card to complete my transactions?

A.  Yes, we currently accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Credit Cards and Debit Cards. There is a convenience fee of 2.45% ($1.75 minimum) that will be applied to this service which will be paid by the customer to the payment processor.

Q. Do I need to license my dog, and if so, how do I do that?

A.   All dogs in New York State at least four months of age must be licensed. A dog license cannot be issued without proof that the dog has an up-to-date rabies vaccination. Bring the dogs’ paper rabies certificate and proof of spay/neutering, if applicable, to the Clerk’s office. The fee for a spayed/neutered dog is currently $6.50 and $14.50 for an unaltered dog. Effective January 1, 2011 the fees will increase to $10.00 and $20.00 If you are not able to come into the office you may mail us the completed application which is found under Fee Schedule along with a copy of the rabies certificate, proof of altering and a self addressed stamped envelope. If a dog is licensed as a result of enumeration, a $5.00 fee is added. A check may be made payable to the Town of Warwick.

Q. We are getting married. What do we need to do to obtain a marriage license?

A.  Both the bride and groom need to be present at the same time when applying for a license. The fee is $40.00 cash, check or money order. The license must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony and is valid for 60 days. You will need to present a valid driver’s license or passport, a certified birth certificate, final divorce papers for each subsequent marriage, if applicable or a certified copy of a death certificate. Couples must also provide their social security number, place of birth, parent’s names (including the spelling of mother’s maiden name) and country of birth for both parents. If documents are in a foreign language they must be translated by a certified translator, information may be available on translations from your Consulate or Embassy.

Q. How do I obtain copies of public records?Top of Page

A.  A Freedom of Information Request form (FOIL) is available here. The Town is also required to accept and respond to FOIL requests via email as well. Copies of all foilable records cost $0.25 per copy. Copies of video and or audio recordings are also available, however, the cost would vary depending on the storage medium. Depending on the request, extra charges may be imposed if substantial time is needed to prepare a copy ( at least two hours). Legislation now permits an agency to charge a fee based on the hourly salary of the lowest paid employee who has the skill needed to do so.

Q. I cannot file my deed with the County without a CPF transfer tax form. Where can I find that?

A.  The Community Preservation Transfer Tax Form is available here and also under Fee Schedule.

Q. I need a Notary, do you have one?

A.  A Notary Public is available to notarize documents from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day free of charge.

Q. How do I obtain a copy of my birth, my child's birth, marriage, or death certificate?

A. It is easier to visit our office to obtain these documents. You would need to fill out a short form and show us your driver’s license. The fee for each certified copy is $10.00. This can also be done through the mail. You need to write a letter stating the following information and your signature must be notarized. Be sure to include your address and telephone number so we know where to mail them. Vital records cannot be faxed or emailed.

For Birth Certificate

-Name of child
-Reason you need it
-Mother’s Maiden name
-Father’s name

For Marriage Certificate

-Name of Groom
-Name of Bride (maiden)
-Date of marriage
-Reason you need it

For Death Certificate -Name of deceased
-Your relation to the deceased
-Date of death
-Reason why it’s needed
-Place of death if known
-We will need to know if a cause of death is requested

Q. I would like to reserve one of the Town Parks. How do I do that?

A.   Check with our office to determine if the day you are interested in is available. Complete the application, and pay the applicable fee, depending on the number of people that you expect. The $50.00 deposit will be refunded to you provided you ask for it. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on Town property. We will also need a Certificate of Insurance naming the Town of Warwick as additional insured for $1,000,000 (for big company events). A copy of Homeowners Insurance for family or social events will be sufficient.

The Thomas Morahan Memorial Park is available for wedding ceremonies. You must submit a Waterfront Park Wedding Permit. To hold a reception at the park you must submit a Special Event Request and abide by certain requirements and conditions. A reception may not be held during beach season.

Q. How do I reserve one of the meeting rooms or Senior Center?

A.  Check with us first to see if the date and room is available when you want it. Fill out the application, pay the associated fee and provide us with a Certificate of Insurance naming the Town of Warwick as additional insured.

Q. How do I register to vote and where do I vote?

A.  The Clerk’s Office has voter registration forms available. If you move, even within the Town, you should send in a registration card to update your address. We also have absentee ballot applications for primary and general elections. To find your polling place click here.

Q. How do I obtain a Hunting or Fishing License?

A.  Proof of hunter safety must be presented when applying for a hunting license. If the applicant also wants an archery stamp, proof of the successful completion of a bowhunter safety course is required. Proof of residency must be presented, or higher out-of-state fees must be charged. Only proof of residency is required to purchase a fishing license. All fees for hunting, fishing and specialty stamps are established by the State of New York.

Q. How do I obtain a handicapped parking permit?

A.  We have applications for Temporary and Permanent Parking Permits here and in the Clerk’s office. The applicant fills out Part A and the doctor fills out Part B. If you live in the Village you need to apply at the Village Hall on Main Street. For all Town residents (other than Village) you present the completed application along with your driver’s license to the Clerk’s Office and we will issue a parking permit to you. Temporary permits are valid for 6 months and permanent permits are valid for five years.